Is time a concept made by humans or actually something that exists and flows forward?
Change ‘flows’ i.e. happens – Change is real.
Time is merely how we reference change. Time is ‘man-made’ as Einstein put it; i.e. an abstract noun (i.e. a human concept) , in both its two core meanings:-
- the dimension (measurement/calibration) of change rate. We calibrating changing position in, say, miles per hour – the per hour bit is time calibrating changing position.
- The collective ‘flow’ of change/change-events. time is to Change-events what Traffic is to vehicles – a non-specific collective noun.
Change (i.e. change of position aka motion) is real. Time is not.
Time doesn’t ‘flow’ – change ‘flows – look around you, the earth spinning, the tides turning, you breathing, atoms vibrating, quarks decaying…change and change events happening all around and within us. Where is Time…?Nowhere to be seen.
How do I live in the 4th dimension?
The so called 4th dimension is Time. Time is the dimension of change.
(Dimensions are measurement sets.)
For example motion (changing position) is measured in, say, miles per hour. The per hour bit is time calibrating the rate of change, i.e. the rate of motion.
And you change (breathing, blood pumping etc), and everything around you changes (the earth spins). To live is to change.
So if you are alive you are changing…i.e. you are living in the 4th dimension.
How would you define time? I once read that time is the distance between two events.
The word Time has two core subtely different definitions, both abstract and both address the underlying reality of change/change-events:-
- Time is the dimension of change i.e. its how we calibrate, index and measure change. For example motion (changing position) is measured as miles per hour. The per hour bit is time calibrating the rate of change.
- Time is the collective ‘flow’ of change i.e Time is to Change/events what Traffic is to vehicles…a non-specific collective noun.
So yes time can measures change between two events, the rate of change…I wouln’t say distance as distance is a spatial reference. Time and space are definitely NOT the same thing.
Can change exist outside of time?
Change and Time are almost the same thing
Change is real. Time is the way we reference change.
Time had two core meanings, subtely different, both abstract and both reference the tangible reality of change-:
- The dimension of change, i e. the measurement and calibration of change. Eg we measure changing position (motion) in, say, miles per hour. The per hour bit being time.
- The collective ‘flow’ of change. Time is merely a non-specific collective noun for change events…like Traffic is a non-specific collective noun for vehicles. Collective nouns are abstract.
Does the present move at different rates relative to momentum- yet all matter shares one present “moment” whether it be long or short, OR does time simply act like a block, where matter can exist in any place in time with no real “present” existing?
Well, a complex question.
In short, Time is merely how we reference change. Change is the underlying reality.
Change could be change of position (motion), or change of temperature, colour, density, weight, radioactivity etc etc. Change comes in many forms.
Time has 2 core distinct contexts in how it references change (one word, 2 separate meanings):-
Time is the dimension of change. In other words we calibrate / measure change rate using Time. Example, Motion (changing position) is calibrated in , say, miles per hour. The miles quantifies the amount, the per hour (time) calibrates the rate.
The flow of change. All around us and within us there is change. The universe is expanding, the earth is spinning, tides turning, you breathing, atoms vibrating, quarks decaying..all examples of Change happening. And Time is a non-specific collective noun for all this change. Another example of a non-specific noun is Traffic. Traffic is a non-specific set of vehicles. We give Traffic physical attributes…it starts, it stops, it flows. But fundamentally Traffic doesn’t exist, only individual vehicles exist. Time is to change what Traffic is to vehicles.
So, fundamentally, Time doesn’t exist. Change happens, and is reference-frame (including quantum) specific.
So all change happens at individual, i.e. reference-frame specific, rates. There is no universal Time.
And the past changes to become the present which changes again to become the future.